Ella Grace Photography
Top 5 Tips for Making a Photo Session with Kids Easier
If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you can feel a bit overwhelmed. Children, especially toddlers can have all sorts of emotions, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session to help.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. If you're stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter's hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won't sit still. Focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. Make sure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give your photographer a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
Hey friend, did you enjoy this post? You are welcome to join my mailing list to learn more helpful info to help you prepare for an upcoming photo session and you can be the first to know about new mini session themes. You will also get early access to signing up for some of my most popular mini sessions before they open to the public.